Thursday, June 15, 2006

Butterfly

I

he lifted his face to the sky

and flew out of the empty building

his face golden with moon reflections

at that moment his soul sprouted wings

as he floated higher and higher

the wings lifting him like a bird

he saw his body dropping

he saw it hit the floor

all was stillness

he felt his heart and soul grow lighter still

the music continued to play to the body below

the body smiled into the calmness

there was nothing but the breeze

and the whirr of the walkman

II

I saw you later standing outside of Cadbury's

at first I heard the parrot

"Aach its Mr Cadbury's parrot"

as you had squawked all those years ago

Pete bought Wispas for youth club cheap

Mr A sold them in his living room.

Mr A thought you were Pete, dear Miles

You weren't happy working at Cadbury's

We wanted Old Deal not fucking New Deal

For 38 hours a week you took home a mere one hundred pounds

As the car I was in sped past Cadbury's

I saw you turn and kick the bin

You kicked it in.

III

I always thought you were like me.

I still think that you are.

How could you leave us like this?

We never said goodbye.

All you have left me with is a myriad of metaphors.

You nearly talked to me

before

you died

I wish you had.

you left with consequence.

IV

I heard you painted tower block canvases

Modern art - we talked about it

The revolution was coming, man

you said the sunshine had faded

to a glare

you've faded our sunshine now

my youth jumped off that block

with you...

V

Butterfly

you soar

we miss you more

than you could comprehend

I never dreamt

that the dream of you

at fifteen

could come true

I dreamed you were

successful in your suit at 25

not laid out in an oak coffin

in your brand new suit

Butterfly

take pollen from your sunflowers

soar the skies

you were always successful to me

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

moving...

Anonymous said...

sure is...

paul said...

I remember the day he came to our flat having got the job at Cadbury's. We sat in the garden and talked about how awesome it was that he'd be working with photoshop and Macs and stuff. I remember the first time I met him and he fell off his chair while Rick Bray chugged a can of tennants super. I remember how beautiful he looked the day Dave and Jen got married, and how he towered above everyone there, as full of pride for a friend as I've ever seen anyone. I remember the time we were in the front room at drayton road at about 1 o'clock in the morning and we both heard the cat miaowing after the line "The cat's just finished off the bread," having listened to "pinball" over and over and over again all day.

I remember the Door Handle at VIP, I remember the Lemon on the Light Switch, I remember Demolition Derby, I remember Clock Made Out Of A Tin Of Beans, I remember Weird Economy Larger, I remember Bundle Dave, Graham and Paul to the Floor in Twiggs Whilst They're Looking at Low Lying Magazines, I remember Bicycles and Walkmen and Walking and Walkmen and I remember "It's called Smoko Di Roco Because it's Like Being On A Train." I remember the artist as a young man, and there is love and laughter in every memory and it reaches him.

Altogher now... "Well, I went on a roller coaster last night, when I was feeling bad..."

MrOrsom said...

I remember getting to know him over many evenings drinking litres of stolen wine. I remember us doing the guitar dance together on many an occasion. I remember carrying him home from the park. I remember the sh*t in the chair styles, the "hay da pa hummmm" and the "errr, tramp!". I remember the bees he saw in the rug while tripping.
I remember him vomiting all over my England shellsuit back in 1991.

"Did you tell 'em about the scooter?"

I remember how you could trust him with your life, but not with your woman. I remember how the survival of no piece of furniture was more important than the humour in its destruction. I remember the man who couldn't see himself through other people's eyes, because if he had then he couldn't have failed to have been satisfied. He was loved, more than he knew when he finally quit.

I remember collapsing on the floor and sobbing when I heard the news. Sometimes I think it's stopped aching, but then it aches again.

Soft, strong, and very very long...

Anonymous said...

I remember:

An immaculately kept flat
Speakers on yellow springs
Riding the bus to Jims to pay for last weeks 5 bag and trying to sub another for the evening, every week for a month
Smoking and chatting into the night about life the universe and everything
His sincere expression when talking about something he was passionate about
No Frills Economy lager
Being bundled to the floor in Twiggs
Having a celebratory dance in the street whenever an unplanned meeting occurred
Walking around Sainsburys and through the checkout with cups of tea
How hard he could hit with a pillow (or sometimes whole sofa section)
Talk of breakdancing competitions
Wasting our only 20p coin to phone a taxi and asking for "Fish and chips, twice" and getting hung up on.
Laughing so hard for so long that we forgot what we were laughing about

I remember being continuously impressed by his sincerity, creativity and humour
I remember him often telling me to "Travel lightly brother"
I remember feeling privileged to have somebody of that quality as a close friend

Anonymous said...

I remember some of those things
I remember, at the time, thinking, "I wish I had the words..."
I still think that now...
Especially now
x